Credits by Section
Design of logo and title slide are by Billy Parker, Graphic Designer, NC Division of Tourism, Marketing & Global Branding with assistance from Angela Marshall.
All photos, unless otherwise noted below, are by Virginia A. Faust, Senior Planner, NC Division of Community Assistance, Asheville, NC, 828-251-6914.
- Appleton, Jay, The Experience of Landscape, Hoboken, NJ: John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 1975.
- Crankshaw, Ned, Creating Vibrant Public Spaces, Washington, D.C.: Island Press, 2009.
- Definitions of urban design principles:
- Illustrations of "building scale" and "human scale" are by Billy Parker, Graphic Designer, Division of Tourism, Marketing & Global Branding, NC Department of Commerce.
- Walters, David; and Brown, Linda Luise, Design First, Burlington, MA: Elsevier Architectural Press, 2004.
- City of Charlotte, NC
- Hedman, Richard with Jaszewski, Andrew, Fundamentals of Urban Design, Washington, D.C.: APA Planners Press, 1984.
- Lynch, Kevin, The Image of the City, MIT Press, Boston, MA, 1960.
- Crankshaw, op. cit.
- Cary Community Appearance Manual
- Simonds, John Ormsbee, Landscape Architecture, New York: McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., 1961.
- Duany, Andres; Speck, Jeff; and Lydon, Mike, The Smart Growth Manual, McGraw-Hill, 2010.
- Doyon, Scott, "terminated vista"
- Walters and Brown, op. cit.
- Historic black and white photo of downtown Henderson, NC; photographer unknown.
- Historic postcard of Asheville, NC; photographer unknown.
- Photo of "The Mercantile Center" in Hillsborough, NC is by Donn Young/Chapel Hill/Orange County Visitors Bureau.
- Historic black and white photo of downtown Hendersonville, NC is part of the Baker-Barber collection.
- Crankshaw, op. cit.
- Folkmoot Parade, downtown Waynesville; photographer unknown.
- Historic black and white photo of downtown Statesville; photographer unknown.
- Map of downtown Savannah, Georgia, is from Google Maps.
- Hylton, Thomas, Save Our Land, Save Our Towns, Harrisburg, PA: RB Books, Seitz and Seitz, Inc., 1995.
For more information on form-based codes, the following information is helpful:
- Form Based Codes Institute
- Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning
- The success of Nashville form-based codes in Better!
- SmartCode Central
- The Rules That Shape Urban Form (PAS 570), Donald Elliott, Matthew Goebel, Chad Meadows, Published by APA Planning Advisory Service, 2012, ISBN 9781611900095
- Town of Cornelius, NC
- City of Belmont, NC
- City of Asheville, NC, Planning & Development Department